RBZS grant for laboratory internship, and field trip
Call 2021 is open !
2021 second call: -Application dead line: 1 July – date for the stay or field trip: between 01 July 2021 and 30 June 2022 – location: worldwide (including Belgium)
The RBZS board has decided on the 21st of June 2018 to attribute annually four grants (500 €) aiming to encourage young zoologist to realize a research internship in laboratory or research group, or to realize a field trip. In November 2020, the RBZS board has decided to publish two call per year in January and in June (four grants). In January 2021, we received 8 applications and, exceptionally, have decided to grant four applicants.
• To be a member of the Royal Belgian Zoological Society (i.e. membership fees must be paid before application);
• To be a master student, a PhD student or a postdoc (i.e. non permanent position)
• To propose a research stay in laboratory or a field campaign (no location limitation), related to a PhD or a Postdoctoral project between October of the year of application and October of the following year. Duration of the stay in laboratory must at least be two weeks. Field trip are restricted to sample or data collection (i.e. no field trip related to a course will be funded);
• Congress are not eligible;
• The scientific activity (research stay or field trip) must be linked to zoological sciences (in its broadest sense, from molecules to biosphere, but excluding veterinary sciences);
• Application documents for stay or field trip include: 1. a description of the general project 2. A description of the stay (including scientific context, host institution and host supervisor address/contact, dates and a provisional budget (750 words max plus a table)); 3. a letter of acceptance by the PI of the host laboratory or research group; 4. for master and PhD students, a letter of acceptance from the supervisor; 5. a short CV (2 pages max, including professional and private address, e-mail and bank account where the grant must be payed);
• Ethical aspect must be addressed;
• For the provisional budget, allowed expenses are: travel cost, lodging cost, field cost (including sample sending or permit) or laboratory consumable cost. Equipment expenses are no allowed;
• Application documents must be sent to RBZS secretary before the deadline (G.Lepoint@uliege.be). Decision will be taken few weeks later and communicated by e-mail to applicant. This is a two steps procedure: 1. Eligibility checking, 2. Scoring/ranking by devoted working group of RBZS board, 3. Approval by the RBZS board, based on the propositions made by the grant working group;
• The grant is attributed only one time to an applicant
• Granted applicants should acknowledge the Society in publication(s) related to their stay. Society logos should be added to posters or communication slide. To contribute to the Society journal, namely the Belgian Journal of Zoology, would be very appreciated (now totally open access with no page charge, FI 2019: 1.00, increasing).
• A two page report will be asked to the applicant, including a financial report with expense covered by the grant. Report will be sent to RBZS secretary (Dr Gilles Lepoint).