RBZS grant for laboratory internship, congress and field trip
Call 2019 is open !
2019 call: -Application dead line: 15 October – date for the stay, field trip or congress: between 30 October 2019 and 30 October 2020 – location: worldwide
The RBZS board has decided on the 21st of June 2018 to attribute annually three grants (500 €) aiming to encourage young zoologist to realize a research internship in laboratory or research group, to realize field trip or to participate to congress.
• To be a member of the Royal Belgian Zoological Society (i.e. membership fees must be paid before application);
• To be a master student, a PhD student or a postdoc;
• To propose a research stay in laboratory or a field campaign (no location limitation), related to a PhD or a Postdoctoral project between October of the year of application and October of the following year. Duration of the stay must at least be one month. Field trip are restricted to sample or data collection (no field trip related to a course will be funded);
• The scientific activity (research stay, field trip or congress) must be linked to zoological sciences (in its broadest sense, from molecules to biosphere, but excluding veterinary sciences);
• Application documents for stay or field trip include: 1. a description of the stay (including scientific context, host institution and host supervisor address/contact, dates and a provisional budget (750 words max plus a table)); 2. a letter of acceptance by the PI of the host laboratory or research group; 3. for PhD students, a letter of acceptance from the supervisor; 4. a short CV (2 pages max, including professional and private address, e-mail and bank account where the grant must be payed),
• Application documents for congress: 1. Acceptance letter of communication, 2. communication abstract, 3. For PhD student, a letter of acceptance from the supervisor, 4. a short CV (2 pages max, including professional and private address, e-mail and bank account where the grant must be payed),
• For the provisional budget, allowed expenses are: travel cost, lodging cost or laboratory consumable cost, registration cost for congress. Equipment expenses are no allowed.
• Application documents must be sent to RBZS president and RBZS secretary before 15th of October. Decision will be taken in the last week of November and communicated by e-mail to applicant. This is a two steps procedure: 1. Eligibility checking and application pre-selection based on the quality of the proposed stay by a dedicated working group, 2. Selection by the RBZS board at the November board meeting, based on the propositions made by the grant working group.
• The grant is attributed only one time to an applicant
• Granted applicants should acknowledge the Society in publication(s) related to their stay. Society logos should be added to posters or communication slide. To contribute to the Society journal, namely the Belgian Journal of Zoology, would be very appreciated.
• A two page report will be asked to the applicant, including a financial report with expense covered by the grant. Report will be sent to RBZS president (Prof Ellen Decaestecker) and RBZS secretary (Dr Gilles Lepoint) one month after the internship.